Heart for the City
First Baptist Church’s historical character and enduring popularity
A 24-Hour Heart for the City
This heart beats day and night, throughout the year. Many of our
A Historic Heart for the City
As the map shows, Vancouver was a very different place in 1887, when Reverend Robert Lennie invited Reverend J.W. Daniels of Seattle to pastor a group of Baptists who were keen to establish a ministry for the growing city. After a short stay on Main Street, the cross streets of Hamilton and Dunsmuir became the home for the newly established First Baptist Church. With seating for 800, the church thrived and soon outgrew the site which is now home to the Vancouver Playhouse. In 1904, First Baptist Church moved to the West End when the forested lot on the corner of Burrard and Nelson was purchased in part to provide a solid high ground for a stone building in what was largely a somewhat swampy area. The building was dedicated in 1911 and over the years further properties along Nelson were purchased to help the congregation better serve the community. After a century in the West End, this Heart for the City is looking forward to its next 100 years.
A Heart for the City with a Vision for the Future
From the corner of Burrard and Nelson streets in the heart of downtown Vancouver, First Baptist Church is called to serve by listening, welcoming, feeding, counseling, accepting, and praying for individuals and groups who live, work, and play in the surrounding community. First Baptist is pursuing a vision which stretches 100 years into the future—one where we are able to realize the call to serve the community in ways immeasurably more meaningful than could have been hoped for in the here and now. We cannot know what needs will arise in the century to come, but we can strive to support our community in practical and relational ways that will help provide the foundation needed for our