FBC Caring Ministry Training (Fall 2019)
Care Friends Training
This is the foundation of our caring ministry training conducted in an interactive group setting of 7-10 participants to foster teamwork, self-awareness, and reflective learning.
- Importance of Caring – Biblical and theological foundation.
- What makes me ‘me’ as a caregiver? How have my experiences shaped and formed me as a caregiver? Importance of self-awareness.
- Feelings and emotions – A window to our soul.
- Active Listening Skills I.
- Scripture and prayer in visitation and caring.
- Understanding grief.
- Experiencing the loss and death of a loved one.
- Boundaries, respect, dignity, when to refer.
- Self-care as a caregiver.
Three Opportunities (limited to 10 participants per group)
Care Friends - Group A
Mon Sept 9, Wed Sept 11, Fri Sept 13
Register by Sept 2
Care Friends - Group B
Wed Sept 25, Thu Sept 26, Fri Sept 27
Register by Sept 18
Care Friends - Group C
Sat Oct 12, 19, 26
9:00am - 1:30pm
Register by Oct 5
Care Minister I Training
Care Minister I builds upon the basic Care Friends Training and seeks to develop skills for higher levels of needs. This is also conducted in an interactive group setting of 7-10 participants with a similar format of self-awareness, reflective and experiential learning.
- Ministry of Presence. Active Listening Skills II
- Encountering common unhealthy emotions – anger/rage, bitterness, unforgiving spirit, jealousy.
- Some common illnesses – cancer, stroke, chronic pain, kidney failure/dialysis, gastro-intestinal issues, mobility issues.
- End of Life issues – helping someone come to terms with imminent death.
- Spiritual care – symbols, liturgy, and rituals.
- Intro to Stages of Faith.
- Faith and the spiritual life in times of hardship, setback, and suffering.
- Caring for Seniors. Nuances of
Two Opportunities: (limited to 10 participants per group)
Care Minister I - Group A
Mon Oct 21, Wed Oct 23, Fri Oct 25
9:00am - 3:00 pm (Light lunch arranged)
Register by Oct 14
Care Minister I - Group B
Wed Nov 13, Thu Nov 14, Fri Nov 15
9:00 am - 3:00 pm (light lunch arranged)
Register by Nov 7
Care Minister II Training
Care Minister II builds upon Care Minister I and seeks to develop further skills for higher levels of needs. This is also conducted in an interactive group setting of 7-10 participants with a similar format of self-awareness, reflective and experiential learning.
- Theology of suffering and disabilities.
- Personhood – what constitutes a person and why it matters.
- Disabilities – personal and/or caring for family members
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s – personal and/or caring for family members.
- Mental Health and Psychiatric Illness –
basicoverview. Schizophrenia, bi-polar, depression, suicide.
- When someone’s child has a serious health issue.
- Intro to Family systems theory. Divorce and Remarriage.
- Death and dying. Palliative Care. Dying Well.
- Assisted living and residential care.
- Caring for those who have experienced trauma.
More Opportunities coming in Spring of 2020
For more information and registration, contact or call 604.683.8441.
Training opportunities are open to anyone. Joining the Caring Ministry Team will be a decision between you and Pastor John.