Liberia 2017

Kwendin #27 | March 14, 2017

Now today has been a wonderful day of rest. That is certainly true for me and I believe it is also true of each of the other 4 in the team.  

I went to bed just after 9 and couldn't keep my eyes open. I had a good sleep and woke refreshed at about 7. A very good start to the day.  

We had some fresh buns that we had bought while waiting for the fan belt repair yesterday, and they made a fine breakfast with a welcome cup of tea (there is still some coffee for Starbucks addicts on the team). Kristie fried up some eggs for those who wanted them. And really we did not have another agenda for the day. The wi fi is working here so we have had a chance to read emails (except for Bob who is dreading the task!) and others have been catching up on Facebook, reading as well as posting pictures and comments.  

There have been a number of expected visitors, people from Kwendin who are in Monrovia. I think 100% of them are in post secondary education programs, all of whom are being helped at least a bit by various members of the Canadian contingent over the past 6 years. Each of them takes time to talk a bit about life in general, and then specifically ab out their program and where they are at and what their upcoming financial needs are. One of them was particularly to meet with me, Peter, who is in his last year of nursing school. I had little to do with most of the others.  

At the end of the morning Kristie and I went for a swim. A short walk in the hot sun, and paddling around in the warm waves, then over the crumbly sand to go back to the Guest House. Actually it was our liaison fellow George who called us out of the water, so we knew he must have arrived with John Karmo. We walked back with George and found Bob and John Karmo going over accounts.  

It was very interesting to hear John Karmo's version of the story of that second car that had let us down so badly yesterday. Even up to the time George called him from the road when the tire went flat, he was sure that the driver had brought the better vehicle that they had used on Friday when John came to see us. And when John Karmo phoned the manager of the car rental company about not having a spare, both of them were still under the impression that they were talking about that better car.  

It took them a while to sort out what had happened. John had talked to the driver on Saturday night and given him money for gas so he could make an early start on Sunday morning. But at the last minute, the driver had chosen to take a different vehicle--one that is owned by a relative of his, so the rental money would go to the relative (and probably a kickback to the driver too). But he did not check to see if the vehicle was fit for such a brutal jouurney, nor if there was a spare tire or tire iron. And now that car is parked 2 hrs drive away with a wheel bearing that needs replacing. The rental car manager was apparently quite plain--that car and that driver are no longer part of his company, and it will be up to the driver and his relative to salvage the car.  

Ahh, Liberia. One of my friends used to quote the phrase WAWA which stands for West Africa Wins Again.  

Can we promise future team members that we will transport them in safe reliable vehicles? probably not. But we can assure them that we will do our best to transport them in safe reliable vehicles. Is that good enough?  

Lunch was more buns and peanut butter and pineapple, and after lunch I arranged to visit the Samaritan's purse office here on the compound. I had been there back in 2011 and met the couple in charge of SP here, and perhaps you will remember that this trip I had brought some soccer boots (a gym bag full) for a girls ministry here--handled by that same couple. Bob and Spencer came with me and we had a great visit together--there are lots of mutual friends that we share through SP and through past connections in Kenya and elsewhere. The husband Kendall commented that it might be possible for SP to help us with our ministry in future. Now that sounds like an offer we might pursue. What about a helicopter ride from here to Kwendin instead of the bone shattering 11 hour road trip?

Let me tell you it sure sounds attractive. We will see if it happens next year. He gave us his card and I do not intend to lose it!  

There is some chicken in the oven. This meat came wrapped in saran wrap on a foam tray from the freezer in the grocery store--much more familiar than live on the hoof like the ones in Kwendin!  

This little time of rest is a very good thing. Some swim time, some time in air conditioning, shower that run until you turn the tap off, wi fi that works. I might be ready for Canadian life in a couple of days. I understand that I am expected to hit the ground running once I get back.  

Dr. John Potts