Liberia 2017

Kwendin #17 | March 4, 2017

Saturday-­‐-­‐a break from the clinic and a chance to be at home for a while. Spencer and Kristie were the ones that went to Tappita this morning to discharge our three patients, so the rest of us had some quiet time at home to catch up a bit. I did get one visit from a clinic staff person who had brought a mother and daughter to see me here. As usual I did not see the patient (although I met them). They agreed to come see me at the clinic next week.

Breakfast was a little special-­‐-­‐Bob brought out some Starbucks instant coffee, and Kristie had some hot chocolate from Tim Horton's. So Kristie did up some hash brown potatoes and scrambled eggs. I did ask for a bagel but she couldn't produce one of those for me.

I worked on the solar panels a bit. Our batteries are being run right down by the demands on recharging phones, and we have to juggle which 12v battery to use depending on the voltage still present. it does help a lot when the sun is out and the solar panels are charging the batteries. We are in the habit of putting one or the other of our two 12v car batteries onto the generator when it is running in the evening. That helps a lot.

Once Spencer and Kristie got home, we had a bit to eat and then went to visit the next village called Boyee. Perhaps some of you remember that the community built a clinic there which we visited last year. We wanted to go back and see it.

It is about a 20 minute drive, over pretty bad roads. But the clinic was very encouraging. The fellow in charge is the same as last year, and he remembered us well and welcomed us. Lots of equipment and supplies have come in, so now they have a well equipped delivery room and a post natal ward of 4 beds. And a fully functioning out patient department. He showed me his stock medications, which was really quite good except for a few deficiencies. I promised him to evaluate our supplies at the end of this week and send him some stuff. He was very happy with that.

It was so encouraging to see that clinic which had been mostly an empty building last year, and now fully functional with good staff giving good service. Liberia is slowly building and developing, getting their health care to a better level for the people who are in the rural areas.

Their maternity care is now significantly better because there is a qualified midwife on staff, who has the help of the village midwives for their deliveries. They deliver about 30 babies a month-­‐-­‐two last night.

The maternity care in Kwendin has been improved just the same-­‐-­‐now there is a qualified midwife on staff, and the volunteer village midwives take turns helping out. And the equipment in Kwendin is new and better as well.

On the way home from Boyee it started to rain. by the time we got home it was raining really quite hard and we were glad not to be on the dirt road still. It did not last long but it did cool off the afternoon for a while. And put some more water in our rain tanks-­‐-­‐they are almost full. I should add that we were wakened by rain last night about 10:30 and that put quite a bit of water in our tanks. I got up to watch-­‐-­‐ rain is too precious to sleep through. Bob was already up. There is a warm feeling of relief any time there is rain. Rain means life here in Africa.

I spent some time this afternoon repairing the torn linoleum in our house. It has been laid down as if it was a carpet, so toes catch on the edges now and then and it gets torn. I trimmed some ragged edges and cleaned around them, then taped them to the floor with some duct tape that Bob brought along. Quite a few tiny "sugar ants" were disturbed and a couple of them got taped to the floor. Kristie was awake last night apparently and made a trip out to our pit latrine. She finally saw the spider like critter that we have been telling her about, which I call the guardian of the pit latrine-­‐-­‐a large flat crab like thing. It was about five times the size of what she had imagined and let out a little scream. The watchman came to help her and saved her life by killing the critter and she was greatly relieved. Spencer says there is a second one.  

Soon it will be time for supper and I suspect we will be in bed early tonight, unless a lightning storm gives us a light show to watch.  

Dr. John Potts